Saturday, August 13, 2011

ANZAC Cookies

I used to make these cookies years ago & somehow I lost the recipe within the past 2 years.  I think I finally figured out the recipe again. My friend used to ask me to make these for her all the time. The last time she was pregnant she said she craved them throughout her entire pregnancy. So I am going to have her taste test these to make sure they are right!
The story behind the cookies is what intrigued me to try out the recipe in the first place. I guess ANZAC (Australia & New Zealand Army Corps) used to receive these cookies from loved ones during WWI because they had a very long shelf life and they were able to transport them without crushing the cookie because of the crunchy texture.
The recipe does call for Lyle's Golden Syrup, however it can be difficult to find. I have substituted regular maple syrup (makes the cookie darker) but it does the job as a substitute.

ANZAC Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 tbsp. Lyle's Golden Syrup (substitute with regular maple syrup)
1 tsp. baking soda
6 tbsp. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In mixing bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, coconut and salt. Mix to combine.

In small saucepan, melt butter and syrup over medium heat. Dissolve baking soda in water and add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. (Mixture will bubble up)

Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine. About 2 minutes. Using a small 1 1/2" ice cream scoop, drop balls of dough on cookie sheets. Flatten each ball with the heel of your hand.

Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Makes about 30 cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment